ShareThis

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Perspective: Army Private First Class Ross McGinnis

I'm reading the Globe this morning, checking the front page story about Celtics tickets (in disgust) and a headline catches my eye - a headline that's right above the Celtics tickets story.

It reads, "Medal of Honor given to soldier who jumped on grenade."

It got me thinking.

Here I am, bitching about not having access to Celtics tickets, really wanting to go the game, how the sports business stinks, etc. and half way around the world, someone I don't know, who is fighting for my freedom, sacrifices his own life for four of his comrades.

It really puts things into perspective. I didn't know Ross. I don't know his family. All I know is that he's one of thousands who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.

To think that this brave soldier instinctively covered the grenade with his body in order to save four other soldiers is something I cannot fathom. It made me think about what I would do in that situation. What I would do to save someone's life.

I guess I can relate because soldiers are a family. They look out and protect each other. I guess I'd do the same thing for my family, without hesitation.

RIP Army Private First Class Ross McGinnis.

Your courage is humbling.

0 comments:

The Big Guy's Music

The Big Guy on LinkedIn

Follow The Big Guy on Brightkite

ShareThis

The Big Guy © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO