ShareThis

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Facebook party over?

CNet ran a story today about the Facebook party being over or should I say that it's use as a social media platform for marketers is declining.

I can see why this is happening. Things happen online so quickly. Things go away online just as quick. Simply put, I think consumers are just tired of constantly being marketing to. We want to use these sites to have fun, network, chat with friends, have live conversations about things that are important to us. We don't want products slammed down our throat in the middle of that conversation. And no, I will not accept the party invitation NOR accept the "have a drink on me" invitation you sent me.

I prefer to seek out the marketing messages that are important to me, i.e. when I'm searching for something, need info about a product or an event, I want to be able to find it in timely fashion. I'd rather not be marketed to based on my user preferences and online habits that some robot is tracking.

Facebook isn't going away. It's still a useful tool communications tool. However, it's use as a marketing channel, like Myspace, has seen it's better days - even though those days seem like a week ago.

0 comments:

The Big Guy's Music

The Big Guy on LinkedIn

Follow The Big Guy on Brightkite

ShareThis

The Big Guy © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO