ShareThis

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

How to get the community to recycle

For a while now, I've been meaning to go to city hall and get myself a couple of recycling bins. Yea, I know, I'm a bad human for not recycling. I remind myself of that after every BBQ we have because the garbage bins are filled with beer bottles.

Well today I got a letter in the mail from the city of Revere talking about the new RecycleBank Program. Get this, they are going to reward me for recycling.

I really don't buy it to be honest with you, but here's how it works.

The city is dropping off a big bin. I fill it up. When they pick it up, they weight it and give me a certain amount of points. These points I can use at various businesses, restaurants, etc.

Not a bad idea, especially because it's free.

However, who's paying for it? How long will it take before someone abuses this point system and starts getting free stuff and then selling it? How do I know when they weight stuff - if they will - if it's accurate.

I love the idea, but something just doesn't sit well with me about this.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its a good idea. A lot better than what they have out here in LA. Here, they just have a blue recycling bin at your house, very similar to a garbage bin, and expect you to sift the recyclables (glass, aluminum, paper) yourself. Now you know this isnt going to happen all the time. Most mornings I look out and I see the residents here simply using the blue bins as a second garbage can. Im sure the folks in your area are on the right track, it just needs a little tweaking to avoid abuse as you stated...

The Big Guy's Music

The Big Guy on LinkedIn

Follow The Big Guy on Brightkite

ShareThis

The Big Guy © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO