ShareThis

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Why The Bruins Still Matter

I am a few days removed from the mourning of the Bruins game seven loss. I'd never put that loss up there with some of the other major sporting losses in Boston's storied history, but it stung nonetheless - mostly because of high expectations of this particular team.

The media has moved on to the Celtics (big game seven today) and the Sox. However, here's why the Bruins still matter to me and why this particular loss has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

When my brother and I were younger, we bought our pops a Bobby Orr plaque that had a signed trading card laminated on it and a clock. It was the first gift my brother and I collaborated on financially as we were in a position to do so at the ages of 18 and 13.

I remember what pops said when he opened it up:

Pops: "Oh man, this is awesome! I'm not going to put a battery in the clock until they win the cup."

My bro and I thought that was really cool.

Well, since then, the Bruins have yet to win a cup and every year my pops will tell my bro and I that "this could be the year I put batteries in the clock."

Not until this year did my bro and I think that the old man might actually be right. However, we all know how it turned out.

That's why the Bruins still matter.

Tick tock.

0 comments:

The Big Guy's Music

The Big Guy on LinkedIn

Follow The Big Guy on Brightkite

ShareThis

The Big Guy © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO