ShareThis

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Google Docs & Templates

I'm a big fan of the Google services. I really like Google docs, mostly because it's convenient and acts as off line storage for my photography business. They recently launched templates. Pretty cool idea, but I still have a gripe with the service.

No matter what you create, your content is still going to be html based or "web" based. This means when I download the file as a .doc, it'll give me extra line breaks, not take the formatting I worked on, etc. And if you import to Google Docs, you get just the opposite. You loose most if not all of your formatting. It's more of a pain in the butt than anything else, but if they really want it to be the alternative to MSFT's office suite, it needs to perform more like desktop app versus a web app. Now, I don't know the technology behind it and maybe there are some work-a-rounds, but for my uneducated-Google-Docs vantage point, it'll never replace MS Word, especially in business.

0 comments:

The Big Guy's Music

The Big Guy on LinkedIn

Follow The Big Guy on Brightkite

ShareThis

The Big Guy © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO