ShareThis

Monday, May 12, 2008

Hating pink hats makes me a bad dad?

This whole pink hat thing has taken on a life of its own. Universal Hub picked up my rant about the topic. Since then, a couple folks have taken the liberty of throwing me under the bus for being a overbearing and dictator-ish dad.

Are you f-ing kidding me?

I love how folks try to take something as small and insignificant as my hatred for pink hats and ASSume they know me personally. Here are some snippets from the anti-big guy morons who know me so well:

"You sound like those feminists who shit a cow when their daughter falls in love with Barbie dolls. How about just letting the girl find what pleases her, and not being Dictator Dad?"

"I suppose the whole point is that it shows just how much he loves the Red Sox and, without a willingness to admit it, how overbearing he is when it comes to his children and people he does not know in matters of minuscule significance except to other pink hat-haters."


From these comments, I take away that I'm keeping my daughters down and not letting them do what they want to do. I'm a dictator and rule with an iron fist. I'm over bearing to my kids as well as to others when it comes to this small, I will admit, insignificant, opinion. These comments are far from the truth. Folks that know me, know this to be true.

This started with a fun media opp for the Boston Globe. Having folks I don't know talk about my parenting as overbearing and as a dictatorship is brutal and almost comical.

The funniest part of all this is that my wife was out shopping with the girls a day or two prior to the pink hat Globe interview. They were in a sports store and came across various Sox hats. My oldest wanted one like daddy and when presented with two hats - a pink and regular one - my youngest picked the regular hat. She's one, so I'm 100% sure that she picked the regular hat NOT because of my dislike of pink hats. It was random. I know this. Needless to say, I was happy they both "chose" a traditional colored hat. Not "original" as I stated in my very first post (I was corrected by a follower of the thread that red, white and blue aren't the "original" colors). I knew this (Google the history of the Sox franchise), but used the word "original" when I should have used traditional (which would have covered any red, white, and blue combinations). My bad, I guess.

Long story short, I was going to let all the banter just blow over me, but when you call me out as a parent, I take offense. To those of you who know me, please gander over to Universal Hub and voice your opinion. Show some support for the Big Guy as a dad, not as the pink hat hater.

0 comments:

The Big Guy's Music

The Big Guy on LinkedIn

Follow The Big Guy on Brightkite

ShareThis

The Big Guy © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO